Cameron's new big boy bed is finally finished! If you remember me mentioning, I had no plans to move him out of his crib until late fall- that is, until he climbed out and decided he no longer wanted to stay put. I wanted to build him a bed, so I really had to kick it into gear and get this bed made quickly, since his crib wasn't going to do much longer.
Originally, I wanted to build a twin sized bed; I thought toddler beds were somewhat of a waste (and I still do, to some degree) but since Cameron and the new baby will be sharing a very small room, a twin bed was out of the question, unfortunately. A toddler bed just made so much more sense in our situation. I found these* plans from Knock off Wood, and in just 5 hours on a Friday night, I had it completely built (though not assembled)! In a sense, it was easier than the picnic table I built; there were no angles and essentially no leveling. It also could be because I'm getting faster at this building stuff! =)
What took us so long to finish the bed, was the staining process. Jon did two coats of stain, which needed about 3-4 days in between coats to dry. The humidity this summer is no joke! He also applied two coats of a poly finish, taking about a day to dry each coat.
So here it is- I am SO proud of this bed! I just can't get over how cute it is! I built it with no assistance, but since I can't really be around strong fumes, Jon did the beautiful staining. The total cost of lumber for this bed was about $45 dollars. I spent a few bucks on sand paper, and we already had the supplies (nails/screws, etc) and the stain. So we spent less than $50 total! What do you think? I hope I didn't build too much anticipation up for this bed on this blog- it definitely isn't perfect but it's so cute! I love it so much. I'm going to get him some new bedding, but I'm going to wait until we find out if Cameron's new sib is a boy or girl (likely in a few weeks!) until I decide where I'm going with the shared room.
The bookcase I started building (before the bed) is not finished yet, I seem to have lost a little motivation in the heat of the summer. I definitely need to get it done soon, and I'll likely show it when I get the whole room done and put together.
In other news, I ordered this beautiful pin-tuck duvet cover from West Elm the other day, taking advantage of the free shipping they had on all bedding. I got it in the sea spray color (instead of the charcoal, below) since our bedroom furniture is black.
I can't wait for it to get here, even though I'm going to wait until it cools down a bit before I put the new duvet and down comforter back on our bed.
*in case there's anyone interested in building this bed, let me know, as quite a few modifications need to be made from the original directions.