Thursday, March 19, 2009

DIY First Year Frame

Every time the mailman delivers a Pottery Barn kids catalogue to my mailbox, I lust over every page wishing I had a bazillion dollars to buy everything in it. Their furniture and decor is to die for, but unfortunately, it isn't very budget friendly. When I flipped through and saw this First Year Frame, I knew I had to have it; I just loved the idea of displaying a photo of each month of Cameron's first year! Dare I peek at the price tag? The old me would have bought it without even thinking twice (see "about me", top right). But the new me is trying a thing called willpower, and it's hard.
So, the price tag: $249. Yowza.
I looked at it again and again and thought, "Why couldn't I make this?" Seemed easy enough. Come to find out, it was. Even better is that I only spent $40 making it. Granted, my version isn't quite as fancy-shmancy, nor does it have a place to engrave Cam's name, but I think I did well, and my wallet has an extra $209 buckaroos in it. What do ya think? I'll also be filling the rest of the frames with pictures so they aren't empty until his first year is complete.

8 comments:

Nicole said...

This is a great idea and so creative! Your guests will love looking at these pictures!

Kristen said...

I love it! It actually looks better than the Pottery Barns! Good job!

ThoughtsON said...

Love it!!! I will definitely have to do this one day!

Erin said...

That is the CUTEST idea! I love it!!!!

Unknown said...

That is amazing Leslie!!! I can't believe you could recreate that so perfectly. Oh, and I definitely need some of that will power stuff that you have. Where can I buy it?

ps-Cam will love his Sophie!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, this is so cute! I might just become a copy cat.

nicole said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Freckles Chick said...

I LOVE it!! Talk about skills, L!

Your "not checking prices" line always makes me laugh b/c I used to be the same way b/f I met DH. It's funny b/c it's true =)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin