Monday, February 8, 2010

Superbowl, party of 2 1/2.

Last night's festivities got pushed aside due to my 2 sick boys who have been both been whining, hacking and coughing all weekend. We actually had a couple of invitations to some low key get-togethers, and I was really looking forward to enjoying some great food and drinks while watching the game with friends. Since that didn't happen, we all just hung out by ourselves, and in lieu of wings, chili, and dip I made my homemade chicken noodle soup!
I want to share this recipe- because I have yet to find a better chicken noodle soup recipe, and it's wicked easy. And since that little Groundhog saw his shadow the other day, it looks like we're in for 6 more weeks of winter- meaning you'll need some new cold weather recipes!
What's perfect about this recipe is that you can customize it how you like. If you are in a hurry, you can used canned chicken (which is excellent in soups), or you can take a little more time and make your own broth and cook the chicken. The secret, is the Reames Frozen Egg Noodles. My dad always made chicken noodle soup with them, and I still use them because they are so good. You can find them at pretty much any grocer (including Sam's Club, in bulk) in the freezer section.

Chicken Noodle Soup:
5 (10 oz.) cans of Chicken Broth (I use Campbell's)
1-2 broth cans full of water
12 or 16 oz. bag of frozen Reames Homestyle Egg Noodles
12 oz can of Tyson canned chicken or 2 cooked chicken breasts, shredded
1 large carrot, chopped
1 tbs (give or take) dried parsley flakes

salt and pepper to taste
optional additions: celery, onion, or whatever you like in your chicken noodle soup.

Bring the broth and water to a boil. Add the frozen noodles, and bring back to a boil. Add the rest of the ingredients, reduce to a simmer, and continue to simmer according to the noodle package directions, about 25 minutes (more or less depending on how you like your noodles, more firm or soft.)
I like to serve the soup with warm garlic breadsticks to dip into!
The measurements are rough estimates- you can add more chicken, more veggies, or use reduced sodium broth, all according to your diet and how YOU like it! Enjoy!

7 comments:

Kristen said...

hope your boys are feeling better! I just took Riley into the dr's this morning and he has RSV again. Next week he's getting tested for cystic fibrosis.... keep us in your thoughts!

suzanne said...

Chicken noodle soup is the best. I think it has magical powers in it for fighting colds. I'll have to try those noodles. Hope the boys are feeling better!

Bri said...

hi Leslie - thank you so much for posting this recipe! I intend to borrow it.

Also, love what you did with the canvas drop cloths. It's such a great idea for a little boys room!

Meredith said...

I've never seen that brand of noodles, but you better believe I'll be on the lookout!

Callie said...

That's pretty much the same chicken noodle soup I make. Great minds think alike!

kace said...

hope the boys are feeling better! sounds like my night!

Karen At Home Blog said...

I hope the boys are feeling better Leslie! This recipe sounds delicious. I love the new grommet drapes below. I am so glad you are still into your home decor, you have always had such great taste!

Karen

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin