Friday, May 1, 2009

Easy Cheesy Chimichangas!

I've never shared a recipe on my blog until now, but I've made these chimichangas a few times and decided they were too good not to pass on. And heck, with Cinco de Mayo coming up, you can make these, invite your friends over and have a little fiesta. I promise they'll be impressed (especially if you whip up some margaritas). 
I made this recipe up after having grilled chimichangas at a local Mexican joint, and I have to say that I think my version is better! You'll see that this recipe is far from "authentic" Mexican; the rice is directly from a box, and I didn't make my own tortillas.  If you feel adventurous enough to make your own tortillas or rice, be my guest! 
Ingredients:
  • 1 lb. lean ground beef
  • 1 package taco seasoning
  • 1 package grated cheddar cheese or Mexican cheese blend
  • 1 box cheesy Mexican rice (I used Old el Paso brand)
  • 5-6 burrito sized flour tortillas
  • Salsa, sour cream, queso or other toppings you like
Start by preparing the rice according to the package directions. Brown the beef, and add in the taco seasoning. Set aside until the rice is done.
Lay out the tortillas and begin by dividing the rice between 5-6 tortillas. Add a handful of cheese on top of the rice, and finish by adding the beef on top of the cheese, dividing it between your tortillas. 
Fold in the sides of the tortillas, and then roll them up. Place the seam side down into a buttered skillet on medium heat. Butter the top (go ahead and make Paula Dean proud) of the chimichangas, and carefully flip them when the bottom side has browned. Brown that side and they are ready to eat! I like them with sour cream and queso on top. Enjoy!

Though I haven't tried it, I think you could substitute shredded chicken in place of ground beef and they would be excellent. 

1 comment:

mindy said...

Sounds great, thanks for the recipe. I'm not much of a cook, but this sounds easy peasy =)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin